Wednesday 12 January 2011

WHILE WE WAIT....

for news about family and friends in Queensland, I am reminded of not only the loss and devastation but also the impact this crisis will have Australia wide for months to come.

Fresh produce will in some instances double as will some meat (so they predict).

I am putting my plan into action now to hopefully take some of the financial pressure off should this happen. We have our vege garden but are no way near self sufficient in that area. I do need to do some planting tomorrow to ensure we have some staples in the months to come. Thank goodness for the chooks and all of the eggs they produce. I predict lots of omlets for dinner over the next few months.

I will be stocking my freezer with frozen peas, corn, carrots and broccoli as we eat these most nights and while there is stock, I will either buy fresh and freeze myself or buy already frozen stock (depending on price).

Fresh fruit will probably become a luxury for a while, we will have to wait and see what happens there. We do still have some preserved fruit from last year to use and I imagine that I won't be doing very much preserving this year :(

I will be back to baking bread every day, nothing like a price hike to really get me back into the swing of things.


We will be eating 3 vegetarian meals a week, yes family, you heard right!

There is talk of petrol rising also, so I will be making more of an effort to walk or cycle places.

I will be using my set of '4 ingredients' books and be cooking simple nutritious meals.

This is off the top of my head for the moment, I'm sure there are other things I can do. I would love to hear what plans you will be putting into action.

4 comments:

  1. I have been working out what I need to plant for the coming months too. Each time I go to the store I will stock up on frozen vegies and tin fruit as I think these(fresh) will be very expensive in the not too distant future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right Sue, aren't we lucky to be able to think about this and plan. I believe petrol will be going up because the Australian share prices are taking a whack and the demand for fuel will be at a premium. Demand and supply.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the look of the bread & I bet it tasted yummy!

    I'm doing pretty much the same as you but I'm also playing with sprouts.. a 3 days turn around for fresh greens is just too good to resist & they make great emergency veg!

    Great blog & thanks for stopping by mine :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been thinking about you guys on the other side of the world... my heart is heavy for you. It's heartbreaking to see the devastation. Praying for peace for those who have lost loved ones.

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and do try my hardest to comment back, sometimes though, life gets in the way.
xxxSue