Tuesday 23 November 2010

MAKING STOCK


I love homemade stock, the bought variety just doesn't do it for me.

I am at the moment cooking up a free range chicken to have as cold meat and salad for dinner tonight. It's so easy to use up the leftovers and make up some yummy stock to freeze.

Here is what I do.

1 chicken carcass
1 onion
1 carrot
fresh herbs (a bay leaf, parsley, thyme)
black peppercorns
1 tsp salt

Place all ingredients in a large stockpot and add enough water to cover. Bring to boil over a low heat, skimming the surface every now and then to remove any fat or scum.

Cover and simmer for 1-2 hours then strain through a fine sieve. Leave to cool and refrigerate or freeze until needed.

1 comment:

  1. I do the same. On the weekend I poached some chicken breasts for sandwiches and froze the poaching liquid. I know it will be a weak stock but it will be fine for risotto etc.

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and do try my hardest to comment back, sometimes though, life gets in the way.
xxxSue