Tuesday 8 February 2011

HOW MANY WAYS CAN I COOK ZUCCHINI?

The giants keep on coming. Every day when I look under the huge leaves there's another zucchini!!!!

Tonight I sat down and worked out a list of recipes to use them up.

*Stuffed Vegetable Marrow
*Zucchini Parmigiana
*Zucchini Fritters
*Zucchini Bread
*Zucchini Pickle
*Zucchini Chutney
*Zucchini Bake
*Zucchini Chocolate Cake

That's quite a list and hopefully with some of them, zucchini will not be detected by my husband.

Tomatoes are growing out of our ears as well, I made up a big batch of passata yesterday and used some on the kids after school snack of meatball subs. It looks quite orange this time around, that happened when I put it through our new blender. Oh well it tastes wonderful.

I stewed some plums that were given to us as well, they will go into the freezer in batches for later use.

Tomorrow after work I will be picking another lot of tomatoes to make sauce for the year. I love this time of year in the garden so much going on.

7 comments:

  1. We have 1 zucchini plant and oh my! it's fruiting left, right and centre. Yesterday there was one small one in the bush, today 4 huge ones! Where do they come from lol.
    We've pickled, chutney'ed, used the in stir fries, crumbed slices and bbq'ed, used them instead of lasagne sheets, made cakes and muffins... Whatever i've cooked in the past month you can be guarenteed there's been a zucchini or 2 in it lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. While searching allrecipes.com yesterday for pizza crust - I found one made with shredded zucchini. I saved it there for when we start our garden, but it seems worth a try.
    Also, this year - we are getting a dehydrator. I would LOVE to add zucchini to our winter soups.
    As for the tomatoes - you can blanch them, skin them and freeze them to be processed later as well. That was a handy trick to learn when we were getting too few for a batch of sauce, but to many to just keep to use.
    Good luck with your garden! I can't wait for ours :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy your tomatoes Sue! We had a great crop this year until the fruit fly arrived.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Zucchini slice & salad is quite a favourite over the summer in our house.

    http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/5546/zucchini+slice

    You can also add capsicum, corn and grated carrot.

    Cheers - Joolz

    ReplyDelete
  5. all your home cooking looks delicious. How would it go as a soup I wonder. I just made spinach and turnip cream soup today...... you might be able to add soup to your list.

    all your ideas sound yummy though. Have a great harvest time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, Zucchini & Potato Soup! (I use chicken stock for added flavour) - with a dollop of sour cream in the middle and crusty bread....roll on winter!

    Joolz

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and do try my hardest to comment back, sometimes though, life gets in the way.
xxxSue